When to Go
When to Go
The high season in the Dominican Republic—and the rest of the Caribbean—is traditionally from mid-December to the week after Easter, when northern weather is at its worst. During the winter high season you'll find a fairly even mix of Americans, Canadians, and Europeans at many resorts, though each group has its pet locales. There's a spike in travel by Europeans in the summer months, so even June through August can be busy in the Dominican Republic, unlike much of the rest of the Caribbean. This means that the island's resorts have no real low season, but you'll generally find the cheapest prices from September through November, during the height of hurricane season.
Carnival is an important event in this predominately Catholic country; the most famous carnival celebration is in La Vega, followed by the one in Santiago. The Dominican Republic Jazz Festival is an annual event in Cabarete each November.
Weather in the Dominican Republic is warm year-round, but temperatures are generally cooler from November through April and warmer from May through October. The average daily temperature ranges from 78°F to 88°F. The coolest region is the Cordillera Central, around Jarabacoa and Constanza, where high temperatures can be in the 60s. The North Coast is rainier during the winter months from November through April, the southern coast from May through October. Barahona, in the Southwest, is the driest part of the country and often chilly at night. Punta Cana is about average, with peaks of precipitation in May, June, October, and November. La Romana and the nearby Bayahibe area have some of the island's best weather, sunny and warm.
Toward the end of summer, hurricane season begins in earnest, with the first tropical wave passing by in June; the season does not end until late November. The tropical storms passing by leave behind the sunniest and clearest days you'll ever see.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $102 -- Punta Cana VIK Hotel, All-Incl. Garden View Room CheapCaribbean.com
- $173 -- Barbados All-Inclusive Resort w/Air Credit, 55% Off Couples Barbados
- $599 & up -- All-Incl. Dominican Republic Beach Trip w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $599 -- Celebrity Cruise w/Balcony Cabin & Unlimited Drinks CruCon Cruise Outlet
- $199 -- AAA 5-Diamond Cancun Beachfront Resort, 40% Off — $199 JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa