Hispaniola has 30 endemic bird species, not to mention many others that can be found throughout the Caribbean region.
Tody Tours. Kate Wallace, an American living in Santo Domingo, is an expert in this birding frontier and organizes birding tours through her company Tody Tours. When her groups first arrive in Santo Domingo, she houses them at hotels in the Colonial Zone. A four-wheel-drive vehicle is hired, and they travel to the Southwest, staying at Hotel El Quemaito (cheaper camping options are also available at her own Villa Barrancoli). She now has two new wood/screen cabins with real beds. Bird-watching can be an expensive hobby, but tours are all individually designed and priced, depending on duration and choice of lodging. Calle Jose Gabriel Garcia 105, Zona Colonial, Santo Domingo, 10210. 809/686–0882. www.todytours.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe