- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
While we generally do not recommend driving in the Dominican Republic, the Southeast Coast, though congested and unnerving around rush hour, is not too bad. But don't drive at night. In the Bayahibe/Dominicus area, the Impagnatiello Rent Car and Yaset Rent a Car are reputable and may be cheaper than the major rental agencies. Budget, with an office at Dreams La Romana, is one of the more reasonable major agencies; you can expect to pay between $45 and $80 a day for a small car; SUVs can be double.
Avis, which has offices in Juan Dolio and La Romana, is a good choice, and it has 24-hour roadside assistance. You can choose a Volkswagen Fox for as low as $32, but a large SUV is $130. All companies deliver cars to the hotels.
Avis (809/688–1354 for reservations; 809/550–0600 in La Romana; 809/549–0468 at Las Américas International Airport.)
National (Casa de Campo, La Romana. 809/523-3333 Ext. 8191 or 809/523-8191. www.nationalcar.com.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe