- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Privately owned air-conditioned buses are the cheapest way to get around the country. The music on them will be very loud and the air-conditioning, if the bus has it, will be cranked up to the max.
Express Bus provides frequent service from Santo Domingo to the town of La Romana (809/556–4192 or 809/550–4585). Buses depart from Ravelo Street in front of Enriquillo Park every hour on the hour from 5 am to 9 pm; the schedule is exactly the same from La Romana, where they leave from Camino Avenue. In Santo Domingo, there's no office and no phone, but a ticket taker will collect your $4 just before departure. There's general chaos, a crazy kind of congestion (allow time in a taxi), horns blowing, and diesel fumes, but it all comes together. Also, keep your eye on your wallet and purse. Travel time is about 1¾ hours, and if luck is with you, the bus may show a first-rate American movie. Once in La Romana, you can take a taxi from the bus stop to Casa de Campo ($25) or Dreams la Romana, in Bayahibe ($40), or Iberostar Dominicus ($45).
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's