- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Dominicus Americus Review
This village nicknamed "Little Italy" was developed mostly by Italians, who, it is said, brought tourism to the local Dominicans. The main drag, however, is named after a pioneering American, Wayne Fuller. In the early 1970s he bought large tracts of waterfront land, which he subsequently sold and where the major resorts now flourish.
The original houses in Dominicus, built in the 1970s, are painted mostly in Caribbean pastels—pinks, yellows, and blues. A more moderne wave of both apartments and single-family houses of all types has proliferated. One main street holds most of the shops, which are mostly filled with clothing and souvenirs. (El Mundo, the largest, boasts that they have something for everyone.) And there are a few simple restaurants (some with Wi-Fi), bars, a supermarket, and tour agencies where excursions are sold mostly to Isla Catalina and Isla Saona. Most of the resorts are on Playa Dominicus, some close to town and others a bit further away. The casino at Monte Carlo Plaza enlivens the night.
- Address: About 5 min east of Bayahibe by car, Bayahibe, 22000
- Location: Bayahibe
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Beautiful resort. Read more
My husband was shot at the condo unit Serenity del sol in February 2012 during a robbery at the condo unit right beside us. Read more
My fiance and I are in the process of selecting a location for our wedding. Read more
· News & Features
Visitors in the know about Disney's new parks system are sure to experience a much smoother vacation tha ... Read more
Mexico City's art scene is vibrant, solid, and ever-flourishing.... Read more
Last week, JW Marriott Hanoi debuted in Hanoi, Vietnam, following in the footsteps of two other JW Marrio... Read more