- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
La Romana is about a two-hour drive from Santo Domingo and the same distance southwest of Punta Cana. The international airport here has nonstop service to both the United States and Canada. To get here from Jaun Dolio, drive about an hour east. If you go straight on Autovia del Este, the coastal highway changes into Highway 3. As you approach the town, you'll pass the baseball stadium on your left. You will start to see the white smokestacks of the sugar refinery belching black smoke. If you want to explore the downtown area, take Avenida General Luperón to the right, when the road splits, and you'll head straight to the central park, which is the main town square.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe