- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Although Gregorio Luperón International Airport in Puerto Plata is the usual airport here, it may be cheaper for you to fly into Cibao International Airport in Santiago. That will require a two-hour drive to and from the airport if you're staying in Cabarete. If you're staying in Cabrera, you may be able to fly into El Catey International Airport in Samaná, though most regularly scheduled flights to that airport from the United States have been suspended.
It's also possible to take a domestic flight from Higüero Airport in Santo Domingo; there are also flights from La Romana and Punta Cana (either charter or regularly scheduled service). But given the added cost, it's rarely a good deal to make this kind of complicated connection.
Airports and Transfers
Gregorio Luperón International Airport is about 7 mi (11 km) east of Playa Dorada. Cibao International Airport in Santiago receives an increasing number of international flights. El Catey is about 25 mi (40 km) west of Samaná.
If you book a package through a travel agent, your airport transfers will almost certainly be included in the price you pay, and even some private villas can arrange airport transfers. If you travel independently, you may have to take a taxi or rent a car.
Anticipate long lines and be sure to give yourself a full two hours for international check-in. Missing luggage, particularly if you're traveling American Airlines and making a connection in Miami, are common, but your bags will almost always be delivered to your hotel the next day, though theft can be a problem.
Cibao International Airport (STI, Santiago, 51000. 809/582-4894.)
Gregorio Luperón International Airport (POP, Puerto Plata, 57000. 809/586-0107.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $102 -- Punta Cana VIK Hotel, All-Incl. Garden View Room CheapCaribbean.com
- $173 -- Barbados All-Inclusive Resort w/Air Credit, 55% Off Couples Barbados
- $599 & up -- All-Incl. Dominican Republic Beach Trip w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $599 -- Celebrity Cruise w/Balcony Cabin & Unlimited Drinks CruCon Cruise Outlet
- $199 -- AAA 5-Diamond Cancun Beachfront Resort, 40% Off — $199 JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa