- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Most visitors to the North Coast fly into the International Gregorio Luperón Airport (POP) in Puerto Plata. The all-inclusive crowd settles in at Playa Dorada. Those heading east to Cabarete and beyond rent a car and explore from there.
Puerto Plata and Playa Dorada. The most well-established resort area on the North Coast is showing its age in some respects, but it still attracts the bulk of tourists to the area.
Sosúa. A little seedy, this small town with a great beach is a home base for lots of expats and other foreigners.
Cabarete. Surfing—kite- and windsurfing, too—and great dining and nightlife keep the young and sporty coming here.
Cabrera. An hour's drive due east from Cabarete, this remote area appeals to those who want a tranquil, upscale villa experience.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $102 -- Punta Cana VIK Hotel, All-Incl. Garden View Room CheapCaribbean.com
- $173 -- Barbados All-Inclusive Resort w/Air Credit, 55% Off Couples Barbados
- $599 & up -- All-Incl. Dominican Republic Beach Trip w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $599 -- Celebrity Cruise w/Balcony Cabin & Unlimited Drinks CruCon Cruise Outlet
- $199 -- AAA 5-Diamond Cancun Beachfront Resort, 40% Off — $199 JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa