- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Most visitors to the North Coast fly into the International Gregorio Luperón Airport (POP) in Puerto Plata. The all-inclusive crowd settles in at Playa Dorada. Those heading east to Cabarete and beyond rent a car and explore from there.
Puerto Plata and Playa Dorada. The most well-established resort area on the North Coast is showing its age in some respects, but it still attracts the bulk of tourists to the area.
Sosúa. A little seedy, this small town with a great beach is a home base for lots of expats and other foreigners.
Cabarete. Surfing—kite- and windsurfing, too—and great dining and nightlife keep the young and sporty coming here.
Cabrera. An hour's drive due east from Cabarete, this remote area appeals to those who want a tranquil, upscale villa experience.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's