The North Coast Hotels
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The North Coast Hotel Reviews
Playa Dorada was one of the first resort areas in the Dominican Republic to be developed, and it still has a dozen or so all-inclusive resorts, along with one deluxe boutique hotel, Casa Colonial. What's interesting is how these older resorts are evolving in order to compete with their increasingly upscale competition to the east. The transformation of the Blue Bay Villas Dorada into an adults-only resort was also a major happening; it's spa-oriented and well priced. Allegro Puerto Plata (formerly Jack Tar Village, then Holiday Village Golden Beach) has taken the club-within-a-club concierge concept to a budget resort. And perched on a mountain ridge, the new Tubagua Plantation Village appeals to budget travelers and groups.
Cabarete and Sosúa were once proud to say that they were the strongholds of the small, casual hotel. Nowadays there are as many rooms in all-inclusive resorts as in the small independents. Condos have also come to Cabarete in particular, and many are luxurious complexes on the oceanfront. Farther out, in Cabrera and Abreu, luxury villas in exclusive gated communities are the draw.
Browse The North Coast Hotels
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's