The North Coast Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
A meal at Playa Grande. The world-class beach of Playa Grande has few people, and is made even more memorable with a freshly caught meal right on the sand. Don't miss a piña colada served inside a ripe pineapple, or a "coco loco" served in a coconut brought right down from a tree.
Kite surfing. Try an adventure sport like kite surfing in Cabarete, or at least watch the kites and take the pictures. The sails are a form of flowing art.
Play 18 holes. Playa Dorada's Robert Trent Jones-designed course is moderately priced, and its renovated clubhouse is a convivial place.
Cabarete's restaurants and nightlife. The night here starts early with happy hour at one of the beachfront restaurants. After dinner, when the dancing cranks up, it's another whole party. All of this happens right on the beach.
Discover lovely unknown beaches. Seek out the lesser-known, unpopulated beaches by taking a boat ride from Laguna Gri Gri or driving around Cabrera.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's