- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Diving and Snorkeling
Gri Gri Lagoon in Río San Juan is the region's best dive and snorkeling destination. There are some exciting caves to explore, and most of the top dive operators out of Sosúa offer trips here, which you can join. Brianda Tours also offers trips here. After snorkeling and/or diving near or into some sea caves and then visiting a beach and snorkeling in a quiet cove, your boat will return for a brief and quiet ride through the mangrove swamp, which teems with tropical seabirds. There are some 20 dive sites in the area with amazing coral, caves, and underwater mountains, as well as a wide variety of colorful sea life. Expect to pay $85 for two dives, $50 if you're just snorkeling. While snorkelers can also negotiate with the local boatmen to take them out into the lagoon, if you opt to do this, try to find one that comes recommended.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe