- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Horseback riding is a delightful way to experience the beach and see the interior. It's best to go with an operation that maintains a certain caliber of mounts, equipment, and guides. Some of the local ad hoc guys will take you for less and let you gallop the beach, but if the tack breaks 10 minutes out and you bite the sand, don't expect to get your money refunded. Iguana Mama also offers horseback-riding trips, both on the beach and in the countryside.
Sea Horse Ranch Equestrian Center. This equestrian center is a professional, well-staffed operation. The competition ring is built to international regulations, and there is a large schooling ring. Lessons, including dressage instruction, start at $35 an hour, and endurance rides are $30 for 90 minutes, $50 for three hours, including drinks and snacks—but make reservations. The most popular ride includes stretches of beach and a bridle path across a neighboring farm's pasture that's full of wildflowers and butterflies. Feel free to tie your horse to a palm tree and jump into the waves. Sea Horse Ranch, Cabarete, 57000. 809/571–3880 or 809/571–4462. www.sea-horse-ranch.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's