The coral-limestone facade of the first cathedral in the New World (Catedral Primada de America) towers over the south side of the Parque Colón. Spanish workmen began building the cathedral in 1514, but left to search for gold in Mexico. The church was finally finished in 1540. Its facade is composed of architectural elements from the late Gothic to the lavish Plateresque style. Inside, the high altar is made of hammered silver. A museum houses the cathedral's treasures; it's in the former jail, a yellow building just across the street. Mass times vary so check before going there the day before.
Calle Arzobispo Meriño, Parque Colon, Santo Domingo, 10210, Dominican Republic