Santo Domingo Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
The Zona Colonial. In one of the most appealing historic districts in the Caribbean, you can check out the Casa Reales, the Alcazar de Colón at Plaza de España, and the New World's oldest cathedral—still in service at Parque Colón.
Wining and dining. Partake of the city's sophisticated restaurant scene, from the Zona Colonial to restaurants in the top hotels along the Malecón, and best yet, in upscale residential districts like Piantini.
Quality shopping. Whether souvenir shopping on Calle El Conde, buying Dominican cigars and rum, or designer clothing in Piantini, you can find bargains here on quality goods.
Love the nightlife. Start at a small, artsy bar in the Zona, then go dancing at one of the clubs. When they close, carry on to one of the hotel bars, like Meliá's club Coppa, which is a late-night haunt.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $98 & up -- Punta Cana All-Incl. Eco Beach Resort, 15% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $48 & up -- Puerto Plata Lifestyle Beach Resort, 30% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $569 & up -- All-Incl. Dominican Republic Trip, 4-Nts. w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $102 & up -- Punta Cana All-Incl. Family Friendly Resort — $102 CheapCaribbean.com
- $569 & up -- All-Incl. La Romana Trip w/Air, Kids Stay Free — $569 CheapCaribbean.com