Baseball in Santo Domingo
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Baseball is a national passion, and even after retiring in 2009, Sammy Sosa remains a legend in his own time. But he is just one of many celebrated Dominican baseball heroes, including pitcher Odalis Revela. Triple-A Dominican and Puerto Rican players and some American major leaguers hone their skills in the Dominican Republic's professional Winter League, which plays from October through January. Some games are held in the Tetelo Vargas Stadium in the town of San Pedro de Macorís, east of Boca Chica; others are held in Estadio Francisco A. Michelli in La Romana (about two hours east of Santo Domingo).
Ticket prices fluctuate, and often change with the advent of the new season. If you go to the stadium, tickets range from US$1 to US$20. Always buy the most expensive seats, and try to go with a group, preferably with some new Dominican friends. When the Santo Domingo Liceys and Santiago Aquilas play, scalpers are in full force; it's akin to the Yankees playing the Mets in New York City.
Liga de Béisbol Stadiums. Liga de Béisbol Stadiums can be a helpful information source if you're planning an independent trip to a baseball game. San Domingo, 10204. 809/567–6371.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe