It's certainly easier to get around the area if you have your own transportation. Just remember that some places are only reachable with a four-wheel-drive vehicle, which can be very expensive in these parts. You could take the bus out of Santo Domingo and make a reservation with Francis Rent a Car, in Jarabacoa. Have them pick you up at the bus station. This way you can avoid driving in the capital, with its unnerving traffic and reckless drivers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe