Metro Bus and Caribe Tours have frequent service from both Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo to Santiago. Metro is a comfortable, upscale bus line. Its service from Santo Domingo is hourly, between 6 am and 7:45 pm, and the trip takes about 2 hours and costs about $8. Between Puerto Plata and Santiago the trip takes about 1¼ hours and costs about $3. Schedules change, but for now buses leave Puerto Plata about every 2 hours, at 9, 11, 1, 4, and 6. Caribe Tours takes longer than Metro to get to Santo Domingo, 2½ hours with many local stops, but it also costs slightly less, about $6; there are about 25 runs daily between 6 am and 8:15 pm. Caribe Tours also stops in La Vega, a trip that takes another 45 minutes. From there you can transfer for a bus to Jarabacoa for about $6. There are two bus stations in Santiago, so make sure your bus is leaving from Las Colinas Terminal. Caribe Tours service from Puerto Plata is good, too, hourly between 6 am and 9:30 pm. The cost is about $3, and it takes 1¼ hours; that same bus continues on to Sosúa, which takes another 45 minutes and costs about $1 more. If you need to get to Cabarete, you will need to take a taxi or hop a motoconcho (motorcycle taxi).
Linea Gladys runs between Santo Domingo and Constanza.
Metro Buses (809/582-9111 in Santiago; 809/554-4580 in Santo Domingo; 809/586-6062 in Puerto Plata.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe