Santiago and the Cibao Valley Feature
Top Reasons to Go
Centro de Leon. Santiago's impressive art museum is worth several hours of your time, and your visit can include lunch and a tour of the replicated cigar factory, circa 1900.
Head to the water. An excursion to the Dominican Republic's mountainous Cordillera Central can include white-water rafting and visits to waterfalls.
Exploring Santiago. The relatively slow-paced city has an impressive district of buildings, a few from the Colonial era and a number from Victorian times. Spanish ancestry is more apparent here than anywhere else in the country
Carnaval in Santiago or La Vega. Carnival in Santiago or La Vega is one of the quintessential Dominican experiences. It's wild, but if you have the right spirit, it can be a fun, memorable party.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe