- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bahía Spa. Run by the Grand Bahía Príncipe Cayacoa resort, this spa is across from the hotel's entrance in a separate building. Bahía Spa offers 50-minute "Caribbean Relaxing" massages for $70, 30 minutes for $55. Although not a glamour spa, it does offers a wide range of other body treatments, including waxing, facials, and hot stone therapy at moderate prices. Nonguests are cordially invited. Grand Bahía Príncipe Cayacoa, Carretera Camino Playa, Santa Bárbara de Samaná. 809/538–3131 Ext. 1298. www.bahia-principe.com.
La Hacienda. Karin Chez, an equestrian and environmentalist from Belgium, conducts horseback treks through the hills and onto the beaches in Las Galeras. She just may have the most exceptional trail horses in the area (if not the country). Along the way she tells riders about the flora and fauna of the region and what they can do to be environmentally conscious while there. A healthful, cold European lunch is put out at break time.(Check her web site for information on Karin's hostel, an inexpensive safe haven in the area.) Las Galeras. 829/939–8285. www.lahaciendahostel.com.
NI Spa & Salon. Walk up the steel, spiral staircase to a haven of peace, with New Age music, a professional staff dressed in white, and a sparkling clean environment. Still moderately priced for the quality of the treatments, NI is one of the island's best spa values. When you're finished with your therapeutic and pleasurable treatments, head to the salon to get ready for that special night out. The Bannister Hotel, Puerto Bahia Marina, Carretera Sanchez Km. 5, Santa Bárbara de Samaná. 809/503–6363.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe