- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
In 1979 three atolls disappeared after a seaquake off Las Terrenas, providing an opportunity for truly memorable dives. Also just offshore from Las Terrenas are the Islas Las Ballenas (The Whale Islands), a cluster of four little islands with good snorkeling. A coral reef is off Playa Jackson, a beach accessible only by boat.
Las Terrenas Divers. This PADI and SSI dive center will teach novices as well as take experienced divers night-, canyon-, cave-, wreck-, and deepwater diving. A single dive is approximately $50; daily diving equipment rentals are $10. There are discounts for larger dive packages. Learn-to-dive programs begin at $100; an open-water dive course is $435. The German owner, Hanjo, is multilingual. Hotel Bahía Las Ballenas, Playa Punta Bonita, Las Terrenas, 32000. 809/889–2422. www.lt-divers.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's