Horseback Riding in Punta Cana
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Rancho Punta Cana. Rancho Punta Cana is across from the main entrance of the resort. A one-hour trail ride winds along the beach, the golf course, and through tropical forests. The two-hour jungle trail ride has a stopover at a lagoon fed by a natural spring, so wear your swimsuit under your long pants. You can also do a three-hour full-moon excursion or take riding lessons. The stock is comprised of Paso Finos. Puntacana Resort & Club, Punta Cana. 809/959–2714. www.puntacana.com.
Adventure Land. Long-established, the former Southfork Ranch (Rancho Pat), which has been the stable of choice for many visitors, is now a part of the Barceló resort complex (though the French owners are still the same). Trail rides are taken along Barceló's "private" beach and on open country roads. Prices begin at $55 per hour; for $15 more you get another hour. Morning rides start out at 9 am (and include a mojito break at a typical bar). Another ride includes an exploratory mission to Taíno caves and culminates in a lobster beach cookout ($130). And then there is the memorable sunset beach ride, which can end with a beach bonfire barbecue ($100). If you like speed and don't mind getting dusty, go for the outback adventures on the new quads or buggies—or play it safer and discover the Dominican countryside in a Jeep. Barceló Resort Complex, Bávaro. 809/223–8896. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe