Fishing in Punta Cana
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Big-game fishing is big in Punta Cana, with blue and white marlin, wahoo (a kind of mackerel), sailfish, and mahimahi among the most common catches in these waters. Several fishing tournaments are held every summer. Marina Cap Cana hosts three big-game tournaments during the summer, including Blue Marlin and White Marlin Invitationals and a Dorado Open. The PuntaCana Resort & Club has hosted the ESPN Xtreme Billfishing Tournament every year since 2003. Blue marlin tournaments are also held annually on the La Mona Channel originating out of Cabeza de Toro. Several tour operators offer organized deep-sea fishing excursions.
Puntacana Marina. At The Puntacana Marina, on the southern end of the resort, there are many, many nautical options available for rent, from banana boats and water skiing craft to sport fishing and diving charters. Puntacana Resort & Club, Punta Cana. 809/959-2262 Ext. 8004. www.puntacana.com.
Marina Cap Cana. Marina Cap Cana on the Mona Passage on the southeastern edge of the Dominican Republic, offers a superb port for sportfishing during the summer season, when the grounds are renowned for an abundance of blue marlin and white marlin. At this writing 115 wet slips are available for vessels up to 150 feet. All have cable TV, water, Wi-Fi. The inland marina's master plan accounts for 1,000 slips, some with capacity for yachts up to 250 feet long; the final stage of dredging is close to completion. Slip rentals are available; anglers participating in any of the many seasonal fishing tournaments receive favorable rates. For sport fishing, chartered vessels are available for four or eight-hour excursions for marlin, wahoo, tuna, snapper, grouper, etc.; charters are best organized through one of the Cap Cana hotels. There's also a designated fishing area for snook, tarpon, barracuda, and jack, with guides and equipment available. The Grand Canal of the Marina is surrounded by restaurants, boutiques, services, and recreational amenities. All complement the sportfishing and luxury, yachting lifestyle of the marina. Cap Cana, Juanillo. 809/695-5539. www.capcana.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1124 & up -- Club Med Punta Cana, Save 40% Club Med Punta Cana
- $99 & up -- Bahamas 'Atlantis' w/Air Credit, up to 65% Off Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas
- $699 & up -- Caribbean Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1399 & up -- 12-Nt. Caribbean Cruise on New Norwegian Ship Norwegian Breakaway
- $183 & up -- Punta Cana 5-Star Adults All-Inclusive Resort — $183 Excellence Punta Cana