Nightlife & the Arts in Dominica
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The friendly, intimate atmosphere and colorful patrons at the numerous bars and hangouts will keep you entertained for hours. Jazz, calypso, reggae, steel band, soca (a variation of calypso), and cadence-zouk, or jing ping—a type of folk music featuring the accordion, the quage (a kind of washboard instrument), drums, and a "boom boom" (a percussion instrument)—are all heard on the island. Wednesday through Saturday nights are really lively, and during Carnival, Independence, and summer celebrations, things can be intense. Indeed, Dominica's Carnival, the pre-Lenten festival, is the most spontaneous in the Caribbean. Other big cultural events include Emancipation celebrations hosted by the National Cultural Council each August.
Browse Dominica Nightlife
Browse Dominica Nightlife By Location
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's