- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Elsewhere on Curaçao
The Weg Maar Santa Cruz through the village of Soto winds to the island's northwest tip through landscape that Georgia O'Keeffe might have painted: towering cacti, flamboyant dried shrubbery, and aluminum-roof houses. Throughout this cunucu, or countryside, you can see fishermen hauling nets, women pounding cornmeal, and an occasional donkey blocking traffic. Land houses—large plantation houses from centuries past—dot the countryside. To explore the island's eastern side from Willemstad, take the coastal road called Martin Luther King Boulevard about 2 miles (3 km) to Bapor Kibra. This is where you can find the Sea Aquarium and the Dolphin Academy. Farther east are a nature park at Caracas Bay and the upscale Spanish Water neighborhood and marina. To the far northeast is Groot St. Joris, home of Curaçao's aloe plantation and one of the largest ostrich-breeding farms outside Africa.
Elsewhere on Curaçao at a Glance
Elsewhere in Curaçao
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's