- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
A taxi between Havana and Matanazas takes an hour and costs 120 cuc, or whatever you can negotiate. Try to negotiate the fare to 75 cuc; it's only 100 km (62 mi). Taxis around western Cuba are generally available between major points, though rates can be extortionate.
Most drivers will ask for about one convertible peso per kilometer for travel within a city or town or small area. In Pinar del Río, tourist taxis can be arranged at the Hotel Pinar del Río. In Varadero, taxis wait outside the Hotel Cuatro Palmas; the fare from one end of the peninsula to the other shouldn't exceed 10 cuc. In Matanzas, taxis are available at the Plaza de la Vigía.
In Nueva Gerona, taxis gather at the corner of Calles 32 and 39, while horse-drawn buggies wait at the ferry terminal; the fare for a buggy to a hotel should be about 2 cuc. In Cárdenas, which has few cars, a horse-drawn carriage is the way to go.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe