- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Plaza de la Vigía
Plaza de la Vigía Review
The marble statue of an independence fighter known as El Soldado Desconocido (The Unknown Soldier) sits at the center of the Plaza de la Vigia, just south of the intersection of Calle 272 and Calle 83.
On the plaza, the Teatro Sauto is one of Cuba's finest and best-preserved neoclassical structures. Also known as the Teatro Antillano, or Theater of the Antilles, it was built in 1863 at the peak of the city's prosperity. Tours of the triple-tier interior, with its carved wood and frescoes, are available. Plaza de la Vigia, Matanzas, Matanzas Province. 45/24-2721. 2 cuc for tours. Tours daily on demand, performances usually begin at 8:30 pm.
- Location: Matanzas
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
· News & Features
Recently relaxed travel restrictions mean that Cuba, with its beautiful architecture and vibrant culture,... Read more
The longstanding travel restrictions between the US and Cuba continue to ease, with new licenses granted... Read more
We recently asked you, dear readers, about your most unforgettable travel experiences.... Read more