- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Parque de la Libertad
Parque de la Libertad Review
The Parque de la Libertad, a leafy square bordered by Calles 79, 83, 290, and 288 contains a bronze of José Martí and a dramatic sculpture of a screaming, bare-breasted woman representing Cuba breaking free from her chains.
The Museo Farmaceútico Triolet, the main sight on the Parque de la Libertad, is a perfectly preserved 19th-century pharmacy. Established in 1882 by Ernesto Triolet and his son-in-law, Juan Fermín de Figueroa, the pharmacy finally closed in 1964. It specialized in medecina verde (natural medicine), and its porcelain jars, great cauldron, giant amphora for medicinal wine, prescription file, and pharmaceutical instruments are impressively displayed. Don't miss the bronze crocodile used to compress and calibrate the corks that, before the screw-top, sealed vials. Calle Milanés, esquina de Calle Santa Teresa, Matanzas, Matanzas Province. 45/24–3179. 3 cuc. Mon.–Sat. 10–5, Sun. 10–2.
- Location: Matanzas
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
· News & Features
Recently relaxed travel restrictions mean that Cuba, with its beautiful architecture and vibrant culture, ... Read more
The longstanding travel restrictions between the US and Cuba continue to ease, with new licenses granted... Read more
We recently asked you, dear readers, about your most unforgettable travel experiences.... Read more