Western Cuba Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Top Reasons to Go to Western Cuba
Beaches: The beaches throughout Matanzas, Havana, Varadero, and Pinar del Río provinces and in the Archipiélago de Canarreos vary from virtual outdoor discotheques to vast strands all but devoid of human life.
Scuba Diving and Snorkeling: Cuba is gaining recognition as one of the Caribbean's great diving and snorkeling destinations, with sunken Spanish galleons to explore as well as such aquatic life that includes 900 species—from rays and barracudas to triggerfish.
Rest and Recreation: The resorts of Varadero, Cayo Coco, Cayo Guillermo, and Cayo Santa María are hermetically sealed vacation paradises. Motorized and nonmotorized sports facilities, white sandy beaches, spas, and dance classes are just some of the recreation options to chose from.
Natural Landscape: The Cordillera de Guaniguanico, the Valle de Viñales in Pinar del Río are some of the most scenic landscapes—especially the areas where the best tobacco leaves are grown, in Vuelta Abajo.
Land of Tobacco and Sugarcane: Tobacco, sugar, and coffee plantations have been rival influences in what traditionally has been one of Cuba's most backward regions. Understanding the production of these important products will give you insight into the island as a whole.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2499 -- Cuba 6-Nt. Vacation w/Hotels, Tours & Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel