Havana's oldest church (c. 1638) was built by Afro-Cubans who were brought to the island as slaves but who later bought their freedom, a common phenomenon in Cuba. Fittingly, today it's the only church in the city authorized to grant political asylum. Its interior has several notable paintings; notice especially the representation of a seated, post-Crucifixion Christ on the right wall. The crypt under the left of the altar contains catacombs. The three-story belfry to
the left of the church is one of La Habana Vieja's tallest towers.
Calle Acosta 161, , esquina de Calle de Cuba, Havana, Cuba