- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fábrica de Tabacos Partagás
Fábrica de Tabacos Partagás Review
Tobacco is a fundamental part of Cuban life, and a look inside this cigar factory, which is also known as La Casa del Habano, is a must—despite the high entry fee and the pricey cigars. The store itself has more than $1 million of tobacco on sale and an inner sanctum sanctorum where you can smoke and sip coffee or a mojito. The upstairs factory has been in operation since 1845 and employs 500 people, who roll cigars for eight hours a day Monday through Saturday. When the lector isn't entertaining these artisans by reading a newspaper or a novel, Cuban music is piped into the rooms and 500 voices sing along, often drowning out the speakers on the crescendos.
The operation is divided into seven departments: despalillo (stripping the central nerve from the tobacco leaf); liga (mixing leaves into combinations appropriate for making a cigar); la galera (the gallery) or departamento de torcido (rolling—literally, twisting—department), where some 260 workers actually craft cigars; escogida (choosing aesthetically matching cigars for presentation in the box); anillado (placing the paper rings on the cigars); adorno de caja (decorating the cedar boxes); and embalaje (wrapping for shipping). Depending on the quality of the cigar, from the majestic Monte Cristo A on down, each roller is expected to meet a daily quota of anywhere from 60 to 250 cigars (the average is about 170). Look for the older woman in the liga department who works with a giant stogie dangling from her lips. Seek out la galera's Alfredo Pérez (he sits in the back row, in an aisle seat in front of the air shaft), the top gun who rolls three times his quota daily.
- Address: Calle Industria 520, Centro Habana, Havana
- Phone: 7/863–5766
- Cost: 10 cuc
- Hours: Store Mon.–Sat. 9–7, Sun. 9–2. Factory visits daily 9:30–11 and 12–2:30
- Location: Centro Habana
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
· News & Features
Recently relaxed travel restrictions mean that Cuba, with its beautiful architecture and vibrant culture, ... Read more
The longstanding travel restrictions between the US and Cuba continue to ease, with new licenses granted... Read more
We recently asked you, dear readers, about your most unforgettable travel experiences.... Read more