- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Plaza de la Revolución
Plaza de la Revolución Review
Just about every city on the island has a Revolution Square, perhaps the most prominent markers of Cuban socialism. This one in the Reparto Sueño neighborhood was the site of Pope John Paul's address to Santiago during his visit. Towering above the plaza is the dramatic monument to Major General Antonio Maceo, one of the heroes of the wars of independence. It shows the general on his horse, going down in a battlefield portrayed by 23 steel machetes that rise from the ground around him.
The small Exhibición de la Plaza de la Revolución has artifacts as well as holograms that represent important dates in Maceo's life. Av. de las Americas and Av. de los Libertadores, Santiago de Cuba, Santiago de Cuba. No phone. 1 cuc. Tues.–Sat. 9–5, Sun. 9–1.
- Location: Santiago de Cuba
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
· News & Features
Recently relaxed travel restrictions mean that Cuba, with its beautiful architecture and vibrant culture,... Read more
The longstanding travel restrictions between the US and Cuba continue to ease, with new licenses granted... Read more
We recently asked you, dear readers, about your most unforgettable travel experiences.... Read more