- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Guardalavaca is part of the county of Banes, whose urban center is 20 km (12 mi) southeast of Playa Guardalavaca. Castro married his first wife at the Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Caridad on the town's Plaza Martí. Fulgencio Batista, the dictator Castro eventually toppled, lived here in 1901. But Banes is best known for its archaeological treasures.
The Museo Indocuban has one of Cuba's largest collections of such indigenous artifacts as pottery, jewelry, and tools. There are also murals depicting Indian life. Calle General Marrero 305, esquina de Av. José Martí, Banes, Holguín. 24/48–2487. 1 cuc. Tues.–Sat. 9–5, Sun. 8–noon.
- Location: Guardalavaca
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
· News & Features
Recently relaxed travel restrictions mean that Cuba, with its beautiful architecture and vibrant culture, ... Read more
The longstanding travel restrictions between the US and Cuba continue to ease, with new licenses granted... Read more
We recently asked you, dear readers, about your most unforgettable travel experiences.... Read more