- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Parque Nacional Turquino
The Sierra Maestra was the base of Castro's rebel army, and a tour through its dramatic terrain makes it clear why the revolutionaries chose it as a place to hide from—and launch clandestine strikes against—Batista's forces. Its massive spine, averaging 1,372 meters (4,500 feet) in height, cuts 130 km (81 mi) across Oriente, throwing a shadow over the southern coast from southwest Granma Province to Santiago de Cuba. The range is covered by moist, tropical forests with huge ferns and towering bamboo. It's cut by steep ravines, rocky valleys, and rushing rivers, and its peaks are often covered with clouds.
Its history and majesty are preserved in the Parque Nacional Turquino. Santo Domingo, on the banks of the Río Yara and in a valley between two steep mountainsides, is a hub for visits to the park. The village has restaurants, accommodations, and shops with provisions. You can hire a guide (they're obligatory, but charge only about 5 cuc a day) and buy a 10-cuc permit to enter the park at the Villa Santo Domingo hotel. There have been reports that you need the 10-cuc permit to enter the park, but the manager at the Villa Santo Domingo says that, with a guide, such a permit isn't necessary. It's best to call ahead to find out what you need and to make sure that the park is open; if the Cuban National Institute of Science or another agency is conducting research, the park may be closed to visitors.
Parque Nacional Turquino at a Glance
Elsewhere in Eastern Cuba
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2199 -- Cuba: 5-Nt. Escorted Havana Tour w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel