- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Bayamo, the capital of Granma Province, is descended from one of Spain's first seven villas: the 1513 settlement of Villa de San Salvador de Bayamo, which was near present-day Yara before being moved to its current location. There's little evidence left of its colonial beginnings. In 1869, the townspeople burned Bayamo to the ground rather than let it fall into Spanish hands during the Ten Years War.
Bayamo at a Glance
Elsewhere in Eastern Cuba
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's