This green-trimmed, whitewashed clapboard house, built by Captain Spellman McLaughlin between 1926 and 1930, is one of the last surviving examples of classic Bracker architecture (most were blown away by the great 1932 hurricane). McLaughlin constructed the house from pine timber he ferried on his own schooner from Mobile and Pensacola. Eschewing the expedient custom of using precut lengths for prefabricated designs, he instead cut the planks to specification on-site.
It's supported on 60 full-section log posts sunk into the ground. Wooden pegs (rather than rust-able nails) join many sections. Three individually pitched gable ends tower above the verandah roof (fashioned from salvaged curved boat boards), forming the optical illusion of a second story. The eight exterior rooms surround the dining room, the focal point of Bracker life; each features a window and door to the wraparound veranda, ensuring that the house captures the light and the breezes. His youngest daughter, Mrs. Brunzil Rivers, still lives in her childhood home and proudly shows people around, almost apologizing for the modern modifications (the kitchen once occupied a separate building to minimize fire risk and reduce heat, and closets have replaced the wardrobes standard at the time). Especially exceptional are the dining room's diagonal wall patterning and the front north parlor's domed beaded ceiling.
Northeast Bay Rd., Creek, Cayman Brac, KY2-2101, Cayman Islands