- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bloody Bay is equally celebrated for fishing and diving, and the flats and shallows including South Hole Sound Lagoon across from Owen Island, Tarpon Lake, and the Charles Bight Rosetta Flats offer phenomenal light-tackle and fly-fishing action: surprisingly large tarpon, small bonefish, and permit (a large fish related to pompano) weighing up to 35 pounds. Superior deep-sea fishing is available right offshore for game fish such as blue marlin, dolphinfish, wahoo, tuna, and barracuda.
MAM's Tours. This reliable company is run by energetic local Maxine McCoy, who comes from fishing royalty of sorts (she, her mum, dad, and five brothers ran McCoy's Diving and Fishing Resort). Deep-sea fishing costs $125 per hour for up to four people; those angling for tarpon and bonefish pay $50 per hour ($75 per couple). Maxine also runs snorkeling trips to Owen Island and will take you conching in season. She's spending more time on the Brac, so call in advance to ensure she'll be on island. 65 Mahogany Bay, Candle Rd., West End, Little Cayman, KY3-2501. 345/926–0104 or 345/917–4582. www.mams.ky.
Southern Cross Club. The Southern Cross Club offers light-tackle and deep-sea fishing trips. 73 Guy Banks Dr., South Hole Sound, Little Cayman, KY1-2503. 345/948–1099 or 800/899–2582. www.southerncrossclub.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe