- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Windsurfing and Kiteboarding
The East End's reef-protected shallows extend for miles, offering ideal blustery conditions (15 to 35 mph in winter, 6- to 10-knot southerlies in summer) for windsurfing and kiteboarding. Boarders claim only rank amateurs will "tea-bag" (kite-speak for skidding in and out of the water) in those "nuking" winds. They also rarely "Hindenburg" (stall due to lack of breeze) off West Bay's Palmetto Point and Conch Point.
Kitesurf Cayman. Here you can take full advantage of the gusty conditions at Barkers Beach. Head instructor Jhon Mora is a member of the Columbian National Kitesurfing Team; lessons, including tricks such as loops and rolls, are geared toward experienced boarders. Group rates are $150 for two hours (private introductory courses are $225); hotel transfers are free with pre-booked lessons. Barkers, near Papagallo's Restaurant, West Bay, Grand Cayman, KY1-1207. 345/916–5483. www.kitesurfcayman.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's