- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cayman Kayaks. Cayman Kayaks explores Grand Cayman's protected mangrove wetlands, providing an absorbing discussion of the indigenous animals (including a mesmerizing stop at a gently pulsing, nonstinging Cassiopeia jellyfish pond) and plants, the effects of hurricanes, and conservation efforts. Even beginners will find the tours easy (the guides dub it low-impact aerobics), and the sit-on-top tandem kayaks are quite stable and comfortable. The Bio Bay tour involves more strenuous paddling, but the underwater light show is magical as millions of bio-luminescent microorganisms called dinoflagellates glow like fireflies when disturbed. It runs only on moonless nights for full effect and books well in advance. All tours depart from Kaibo Beach Bar in Cayman Kai; costs run from $25 to $59 (some tours offer kids' and group discounts). Kaibo Beach Bar, 585 Water Cay Rd., Cayman Kai, North Side, Grand Cayman, KY1-1701. 345/746–3249 or 345/926–4467. www.caymankayaks.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe