When to Go
When to Go
High season doesn't really get into full swing until Christmas and ends sooner (usually by April 1) than on most Caribbean islands. In the off-season, rates can be a third less. Locals and yachties gather at Foxy's bar on Jost Van Dyke for the annual St. Patrick's Day celebration in March.
Glimpse the colorful spinnakers as sailing enthusiasts gather for the internationally known BVI Spring Regatta and Sailing Festival, which begins during the last week in March and continues until the first weekend in April. Tortola celebrates Carnival on and around August 1 to mark the anniversary of the end of slavery in 1834. A slew of activities culminating with a parade through the streets take place in Road Town. Hotels fill up fast, so make sure to reserve your room and rental car well in advance.
In August you can also try your hand at sportfishing, as anglers compete to land the largest catch at the BVI Sportfishing Tournament.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe