More than 50 individual islands make up the British Virgin Islands. Jost Van Dyke, a sparsely populated island northwest of Tortola, has a disproportionate number of surprisingly lively bars and is a favorite for yachters. Flat Anegada, some 20 miles northeast of Virgin Gorda, is the only coral island in the BVI chain, and its extensive reef systems attract snorkelers and divers. Several other islands have private resorts, though many are uninhabited.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe