Sports and the Outdoors in Jost Van Dyke
Sports and the Outdoors
Abe and Eunicy Rentals. This company's two-door Suzukis ($65 a day), four-door Suzukis ($75 a day), and four-door Monteros ($80 a day) will help you explore by land. There's pick-up and drop-off service from anywhere on the island. Little Harbour, Jost Van Dyke, VG1160. 284/495-9329.
JVD Scuba and BVI Eco-Tours. Check out the undersea world around the island with dive master Colin Aldridge. One of the most impressive dives in the area is off the north coast of Little Jost Van Dyke. Here you can find the Twin Towers: a pair of rock formations rising an impressive 90 feet. A one-tank dive costs $85, a two-tank dive $115, and a four-hour beginner course is $120 plus the cost of equipment. Colin also offers day-trips to Sandy Cay and Sandy Spit, Norman Island, Virgin Gorda (The Baths), and custom outings. You can also rent snorkel equipment or dive gear. Great Harbour, Jost Van Dyke, VG1160. 284/495-0271. www.bvi-ecotours.com.
Paradise Jeep Rentals. Paradise Jeep Rentals offers the ideal vehicles to tackle Jost Van Dyke's steep, winding roads. Even though Jost is a relatively small island, you really need to be in shape to walk from one bay to the next. This outfit rents two-door Suzukis for $60 per day and four-door Grand Vitaras and Sportages for $70. Discounts are availble for rentals of six or more days. It's next to the Fire Station in Great Harbour. Reservations are a must. Back St., Great Harbour, Jost Van Dyke, VG1160. 284/495-9477.
Paradise Powerboat Rental. Franky Chinnery, who was born and raised on Jost Van Dyke, owns Paradise Powerboat Rental. The company offers day-trip boat tours to Sandy Cay, Sandy Spit, Normal Island, The Baths, and custom trips, along with dinghy rentals, sportfishing, and other services on board the Betram and Renegade powerboats. It also provides water-taxi service between Jost Van Dyke and Tortola or USVI (call for prices). Great Harbour, Jost Van Dyke. 284/442-4651.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $90 -- Virgin Islands: Former Sugar Refinery Inn, Reg. $100 Ole Works Inn
- $469 -- Virgin Islands: 3 Nights in Long Bay w/Extras Long Bay Beach Resort & Villas
- $1490 -- Virgin Islands: Cooper Island Dive Trip, Save $295 Cooper Island Beach Club
- $150 -- Virgin Islands: Anegada Oceanview Room, Save 38% — $150 Anegada Reef Hotel