St. David's Island
St. David's Island Review
In a place famous for manicured lawns and well-tended gardens, St. David's Island feels comparatively wild. However, the real highlight is—quite literally—St. David's Lighthouse. Built in 1879 of Bermuda stone and occupying the tallest point on the East End, this red-and-white striped lighthouse rises 208 feet above the sea, providing jaw-dropping views of St. George's, Castle Harbour, and the reef-rimmed south shore. This is also a great place to spot humpback whales passing through Bermuda's waters in April and May.
Black Horse Tavern. The island was long populated by fishermen, so it seems appropriate that one of the top attractions here is the Black Horse Tavern, which specializes in seafood concoctions like shark hash and curried conch stew. 101 St. David's Rd., DD 01. 441/297–1991.
- Address: Lighthouse Hill, St. George's Parish, DD 02
- Phone: 441/236–5902
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Daily 10–4
- Location: St. George's and The Eastern Parishes