- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Tucker House Review
Tucker House is owned and lovingly maintained as a museum by the Bermuda National Trust. It was built in the 1750s for a merchant who stored his wares in the cellar (a space that now holds an archaeological exhibit). But it's been associated with the Tucker family ever since Henry Tucker, president of the Governor's Council and a key participant in the Bermuda Gunpowder Plot, purchased it in 1775. His descendents lived here until 1809, and much of the fine silver and heirloom furniture—which dates primarily from the mid-18th and early-19th centuries—was donated by them. As a result, the house is essentially a tribute to this well-connected clan whose members included a Bermudian governor, a U.S. treasurer, a Confederate navy captain, and an Episcopal bishop.
The kitchen, however, is dedicated to another notable—Joseph Haine Rainey—who is thought to have operated a barber's shop in it during the Civil War. (Barber's Alley, around the corner, is also named in his honor.) As a freed slave from South Carolina, Rainey fled to Bermuda at the outbreak of the war. Afterward he returned to the United States and, in 1870, became the first black man to be elected to the House of Representatives. A short flight of stairs leads down to the kitchen, originally a separate building, and to an enclosed kitchen garden.
- Address: 5 Water St., St. George's, GE 05 | Map It
- Phone: 441/297–0545
- Cost: $5; $10 combination ticket includes admission to National Trust Museum in Globe Hotel and Verdmont
- Hours: April–Oct.., Wed.–Sat. 11-3; winter schedule is limited.
- Website: www.bnt.bm
- Location: St. George's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hubby and I are just back from an incredible weekend in Bermuda. Read more
How to see the best of Bermuda's waters. Read more
A small gorup of thirty something couples love traveling to Elbow Cay, and want a similar experience (golf carts for transportation, cruise around the island on a rental boat, secluded island with not a Read more
· News & Features
From French Polynesia to Bermuda, there's no shortage of tropical islands that draw cruise ... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Bermuda is 600 miles off the coast of North Carolina.... Read more