Verdmont House Museum
Verdmont House Museum Review
Even if you think you've had your fill of old houses, Verdmont deserves a look. The National Trust property, which opened as a museum in 1956, is notable for its Georgian architecture. Yet what really sets this place apart is its pristine condition. Though used as a residence until the mid-20th century, virtually no structural changes were made to Verdmont since it was erected around 1710. Former owners never even added electricity or plumbing (so the "powder room" was strictly used for powdering wigs). The house is also known for its enviable collection of antiques. Some pieces—such as the early-19th-century piano—were imported from England. However, most are 18th-century cedar, crafted by Bermudian cabinetmakers. Among the most interesting artifacts are the pint-size furnishings and period toys that fill Verdmont's upstairs nursery. A china coffee service, said to have been a gift from Napoléon to U.S. President James Madison, is also on display. The president never received it, though, since the ship bearing it across the Atlantic was seized by a privateer and brought to Bermuda.
- Address: 6 Verdmont Lane, off Collector's Hill, Smith's Parish, FL 05 | Map It
- Phone: 441/236–7369
- Cost: $5; $10 combination ticket with Bermuda National Trust Museum in Globe Hotel and Tucker House
- Hours: Apr.–Oct.., Wed.–Fri., 10–4; winter schedule is limited.
- Website: www.bnt.bm
- Location: St. George's and The Eastern Parishes
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hubby and I are just back from an incredible weekend in Bermuda. We were a bit concerned about traveling in the off-season, but it was... Read more
How to see the best of Bermuda's waters. This itinerary will show you how easy it is to see the all of the hotspots off the land: best snorkell... Read more