Bermuda Sights

Advertisement

Fort St. Catherine Review

This restored hilltop fort is arguably the most formidable looking one on the island. Surrounded by a dry moat and accessed by a drawbridge, it has enough tunnels, towers, redoubts, and ramparts to satisfy even the most avid military historian—or adrenaline-fueled child. The original fort was built around 1614 by Bermuda's first governor, Richard Moore, but it was remodeled and enlarged at least five times. In fact, work continued on it until late in the 19th century. On-site an intriguing collection of antique weapons complements the impressive architecture. Standing out among the pistols and muskets is an 18-ton muzzle-loading cannon, which was capable of firing 400-pound shells a full half mile.

    Contact Information

  • Address: 15 Coot Pond Rd., St. George's Parish, GE 03 | Map It
  • Phone: 441/297–1920
  • Cost: $7
  • Hours: Daily 10–4 June–Oct.; closed weekends Nov.–May
  • Location: St. George's and The Eastern Parishes
Updated: 11-04-2013

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

· Map of Fort St. Catherine

Map of



Travel Deals
Forums