- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Museum of the Bermuda Historical Society/Bermuda National Library
Museum of the Bermuda Historical Society/Bermuda National Library Review
Mark Twain admired the giant rubber tree that stands on Queen Street in the front yard of this Georgian house, formerly owned by Postmaster William Bennet Perot and his family. Though charmed by the tree, which had been imported from what is now Guyana in the mid-19th century, Twain lamented that it didn't bear rubbery fruit in the form of overshoes and hot-water bottles. The library, about which he made no tongue-in-cheek comment, was established in 1839, and its reference section has virtually every book ever written about Bermuda, as well as a microfilm collection of Bermudian newspapers dating back to 1784.
To the left of the library entrance is the Historical Society's museum. The collection is eclectic, chronicling the island's past through interesting—and in some cases downright quirky—artifacts. One display, for instance, is full of Bermudian silver dating from the 1600s; another focuses on tools and trinkets made by Boer War prisoners who were exiled here in 1901 and 1902. Check out the portraits of Sir George Somers and his wife, painted around 1605, and of William Perot and his wife that hang in the entrance hall. The newest exhibit is a selection of portraits of prominent Bermudians painted in the 1970s. Don't forget you can also pick up your free copy of the letter George Washington wrote in 1775; addressed to the inhabitants of Bermuda, it requests gunpowder for use in the American Revolution.
- Address: 13 Queen St., opposite Reid St. Hamilton, HM 11 | Map It
- Phone: 441/295–2905 library; 441/295–2487 museum
- Cost: Library free; museum donations accepted
- Hours: Library, Mon.–Thur. 8:30–6, Fri. 10–5, Sat. 9–5; museum, weekdays 10–2, Dec.–Mar., 10–1.
- Website: www.bnl.bm
- Location: Hamilton and Environs
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hubby and I are just back from an incredible weekend in Bermuda. Read more
How to see the best of Bermuda's waters. Read more
A small gorup of thirty something couples love traveling to Elbow Cay, and want a similar experience (golf carts for transportation, cruise around the island on a rental boat, secluded island with not a Read more
· News & Features
From French Polynesia to Bermuda, there's no shortage of tropical islands that draw cruise ... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Bermuda is 600 miles off the coast of North Carolina.... Read more