The 360-degree view from Gun Hill, 700 feet above sea level, gave this location strategic importance to the 18th-century British army. Using lanterns and semaphore, soldiers based here could communicate with their counterparts at the Garrison on the south coast and at Grenade Hill in the north. Time moved slowly in 1868, and Captain Henry Wilkinson whiled away his off-duty hours by carving a huge lion from a single rock—which is on the hillside just below the tower.
Come for a short history lesson but mainly for the view; it's so gorgeous, military invalids were once sent here to convalesce.
Gun Hill, St. George, Barbados