- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's In Focus Barbados & St. Lucia
Barbados Military Cemetery
Barbados Military Cemetery Review
The cemetery, also referred to as the Garrison Military Cemetary, is near the shore behind historic St. Ann's Fort. First used in 1780, when the area was pretty much marshland, the dead were placed in shallow graves or simply left on top of the ground where, within a few short days, many were absorbed into the swamp. In the early 20th century, a number of the remaining graves were dug up to provide room for oil storage tanks; salvaged headstones were placed on a cenotaph, erected in 1920–24. A "Cross of Sacrifice" was erected in 1982 to honor all the military dead; a second cenotaph, erected in 2003, honors the Barbadian merchant seamen who died in World War II.
- Address: Graves End, near the Hilton Barbados, Needham's Point, St. Michael
- Phone: 246/426–0982
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Daily 8–4
- Location: South Coast
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This was our first trip to the Caribbean and we were not disappointed! Read more
Our holiday in Barbados was structured thus: 2 days Amaryllis Hotel, Hastings; 7 days cruise (not reported here); 5 days Bougainvillea Hotel, Maxwell.
The Amaryllis is a good enough hotel staffed by, as Read more
Barbados Advice for family.
I was planning another trip to Jamaica where I stayed at a villa at My Silversands. I loved it. Had a housekeeper and cook so we could relax and play with the kids. Our kids Read more
· News & Features
Here are 11 reasons to sit at your computer on Cyber Monday and click away in pursuit of your next beach... Read more
Whether you call it rum, rhum, or ron, rum is one of the most diverse spirits in the world.... Read more
Put down that umbrella drink.... Read more