Nightlife & the Arts in Barbados
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When the sun goes down, the people come out to "lime" (which may be anything from a chat to a full-blown "jump-up" or street party). Performances by world-renowned stars and regional groups are major events, and tickets can be hard to come by—but give it a try. Most resorts have nightly entertainment in season, and nightclubs often have live bands for listening and dancing. The busiest bars and dance clubs rage until 3 am. On Saturday nights some clubs—especially those with live music—charge a cover of about $15.
Barbados supports the rum industry with more than 1,600 "rum shops," simple bars where (mostly) men congregate to discuss the world or life in general, drink rum, and eat a cutter (sandwich). In more sophisticated establishments, you can find upscale rum cocktails made with the island's renowned Mount Gay and Cockspur brands—and no shortage of Barbados's own Banks Beer.
Browse Barbados Nightlife
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $213-$228 -- Oceanview Suite at Bahamas All-Incl. Resort BookIt.com
- $225-$260 -- Aruba 4-Star All-Incl. Resort, Kids Half Off BookIt.com
- $429 & up -- 5- & 6-Nt. Caribbean Cruises on Royal Caribbean American Express Travel
- $101-$109 -- Punta Cana 4-Star All-Incl. Resort w/Credits — $101-$109 BookIt.com
- $799 & up -- 7-Night Caribbean Cruises on Royal Caribbean — $799 American Express Travel