Windsurfing and Kiteboarding in Barbados
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Windsurfing and Kiteboarding
Part of the World Cup Windsurfing Circuit, Barbados is one of the prime locations in the world for windsurfing—and, increasingly, for kiteboarding. Winds are strongest November through April at the island's southern tip, at Silver Sands–Silver Rock Beach, which is where the Barbados Windsurfing Championships are held in mid-January. Use of windsurfing boards and equipment, as well as instruction, is often among the amenities included at larger hotels and sometimes can be rented by nonguests. Kiteboarding is a more difficult sport that requires several hours of instruction to reach proficiency; Silver Sands is about the only location in Barbados where you'll find kiteboarding equipment and instruction.
deAction Surf Shop. At his shop, directly on Silver Sands–Silver Rock Beach, Brian "Irie Man" Talma stocks a range of rental surfing equipment and offers beginner windsurfing, kiteboarding, and surfing lessons taught by a professional team of instructors. The conditions here are ideal, with waves off the outer reef and flat water in the inner lagoon. Kiteboarding, which isn't easy, generally involves six hours of instruction broken up into two or three sessions: from flying a small kite to getting the body dragged with a big kite to finally getting up on the board. All equipment is provided. Silver Sands–Silver Rock Beach, Silver Sands, Christ Church. 246/428–2027. www.briantalma.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe